The Silo Widgets plugin for WordPress introduces two widgets for use in silo web designed sites.
1. A Silo Stub widget, which you can use as an inline widget when you’d like to automatically generate the contents of a page whose only purpose is to link to its children, e.g. this site’s software page.
Benefit: Fast creation of intermediary pages useful for user navigation.
Method: The software page was created including all of its content by simply creating the page and adding the inline widget. All the content is added automatically by the Silo Stub widget.
Selecting the widget will include it in the page where it appears as a grey box. However, the content is only visible on the published page.
Then add the ‘child’ pages using Add New pages, specify the parent page in the right hand side bar and publish:
By default, the widget places the page title of the child page as a link in the parent page. You can add additional information to be shown by completing the ‘This Page in Widgets’ function when creating the child page.
This Page In Widgets is one of the functions found directly below the editor. You can drag and drop these functions into the position most convenient for your own use by clicking on the grey bar and dragging.
Finally, you can exclude the page being shown in lists such as Pages, Silo Pages etc by checking one of the Exclude boxes at the bottom. For example, you may have Thank You or product download pages that you do not want to show in the navigation.
Parent/child relationships created by stub pages can be nested without theoretical limit. However, ensure that you are not using a Permalink structure beginning with %postname%, %author%, %category% or %tag%. Note the Semiologic recommended Permalink structure:
2. A Silo Map widget, which you can use as an inline widget to automatically output a full site map of your site; e.g. this site’s site map page.
Benefit: Saves time by creating the sitemap automatically. You can use the sitemap page both for visitor navigation and for the search engines. The sitemap is updated automatically whenever you add or delete pages.
Method: Add a new page with title ‘Sitemap’ (or any other title you choose). Add the Silo Map widget:
If you intend to use the Sitemap page useful for visitors then don’t forget to make the page obvious by including it in one of your Navigation menus.
The first, in particular, comes in handy when creating silo structured web sites.
This post/page in widgets
This plugin shares options with a couple of other plugins from Semiologic. They’re available when editing your posts and pages, in meta boxes called “This post in widgets” and “This page in widgets.”
These options allow you to configure a title and a description that are then used by Fuzzy Widgets, Random Widgets , Related Widgets , Nav Menu Widgets, Silo Widgets , and so on. They additionally allow you to exclude a post or page from all of them in one go.
This package is part of Semiologic Pro, and is access-restricted.
Bleeding Edge Zip
Frequently Asked Questions
The Semiologic forum is the best place to report issues.
Version 3.6 =
- Updated to use PHP5 constructors as WP deprecated PHP4 constructor type in 4.3.
- WP 4.3 compat
- Tested against PHP 5.6
Version 3.5 =
- WP 4.0 compat
Version 3.4.1 =
- Use more full proof WP version check to alter plugin behavior instead of relying on $wp_version constant.
Version 3.4 =
- clear caches on WP upgrade
- Code refactoring
- WP 3.9 compat
Version 3.3.1 =
- WP 3.8 compat
Version 3.3 =
- WP 3.6 compat
- PHP 5.4 compat
Version 3.2 =
- Fixed incorrect url being generated for hierarchies with children of children in the Silo Stub widget. url was being generated as parent/grandparent/child (props Todd)
- Tested with WordPress 3.6
Version 3.1.2 =
- Fixed incorrect url being generated for hierarchies with children of children in the Silo Map and NavMenus widget. url was being generated as parent/grandparent/child (props Todd)
Version 3.1.1 =
- Fix caching issue with "This Page in Widgets" not refreshing on title or description updates
Version 3.1 =
- WP 3.5 compat
Version 3.0.4 =
- Further cache improvements (fix priority)
- Fix a potential infinite loop
Version 3.0.3 =
- Sem Cache 2.0 related tweaks
- Fix blog link on search/404 pages
- Apply filters to permalinks
Version 3.0.2 =
- WP 2.9 compat
Version 3.0.1 =
- Allow silo maps in posts
Version 3.0 =
- Complete rewrite
- WP_Widget class
- Code enhancements and optimizations