The Random Widgets plugin for WordPress introduces multi-use widgets that allow you to list random posts, pages, updates, comments or links.
To use the plugin, browse Appearance / Widgets, insert a Random Widget where you want it to be, and configure it as appropriate.
- When displaying random posts, pages or links, you can optionally filter the results by category or section.
- Random updates will display updated pages.
- Random comments will only display comments from public posts and pages — fully ignoring password protected and private content.
This post/page in widgets
This plugin shares options with a couple of other plugins from Semiologic. They’re available when editing your posts and pages, in meta boxes called “This post in widgets” and “This page in widgets.”
These options allow you to configure a title and a description that are then used by Fuzzy Widgets, Random Widgets, Related Widgets, Nav Menu Widgets, Silo Widgets, and so on. They additionally allow you to exclude a post or page from all of them in one go.
This package is part of Semiologic Pro, and is access-restricted.
Bleeding Edge Zip
Frequently Asked Questions
The Semiologic forum is the best place to report issues.
Version 3.6 =
- Updated to use PHP5 constructors as WP deprecated PHP4 constructor type in 4.3.
- WP 4.3 compat
- Tested against PHP 5.6
Version 3.5 =
- WP 4.0 compat
Version 3.4 =
- Code refactoring
- WP 3.9 compat
Version 3.3.1 =
- Further tweaks around the widget context caching
Version 3.3 =
- Improved context caching to work better with page revisions and auto-saves.
- WP 3.8 compat
Version 3.2 =
- WP 3.6 compat
- PHP 5.4 compat
Version 3.1 =
- WP 3.5 compat
- Recoded for removed _get_post_ancestors function
Version 3.0.4 =
- WP 3.0 compat
Version 3.0.3 =
- Further cache improvements (fix priority)
Version 3.0.2 =
- Cache improvements
Version 3.0.1 =
- WP 2.9 compat
Version 3.0 =
- Complete rewrite
- WP_Widget class
- Code enhancements and optimizations