XML Sitemaps is a WordPress plugin that will automatically generate XML Sitemaps for your site and notify search engines when they’re updated. This file aides Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo and other search engine bots to discover and crawl all the pages, blog posts and other content of your site.
Contrary to other similar plugins that generate sitemap files, this one will add a rewrite rule and store your cached sitemaps in the wp-content/sitemaps folder.
Prior to version 2.0 of this plugin, there was no options/setting screen because they were set automatically. With 2.0 there is limited options to control the inclusion or exclusion of date archives (years and months), author, category and tags pages in your sitemap. Additionally specific pages can also be excluded by entering their page IDs.
The XML Sitemaps plugin automatically assigns the rate of updates and the weight based on statistics collected on your site.
Pings occur automatically, on an hourly basis, if the sitemap file is updated.
Lastly, and contrary to other plugins that try to do the same as this one, this plugin will use the WP internals to determine the number of blog, category, tag and author pages on your site. This means it’ll play well with the likes of the Semiologic SEO.
Bleeding Edge Zip
Frequently Asked Questions
The Semiologic forum is the best place to report issues. Please note, however, that while community members and I do our best to answer all queries, we’re assisting you on a voluntary basis.
If you require more dedicated assistance, consider using Semiologic Pro.
How do I ping Google’s update service?
You don’t need to. The plugin does that for you — albeit never more than once every 10 minutes.
It also pings Microsoft’s Bing search engine.
Where do I find the sitemap.xml file?
The cached version is in wp-content/sitemaps. If you don’t see it there, it probably is because it hasn’t been generated yet.
Generating the sitemap.xml file can take pretty long on large sites, so the plugin merely deletes the existing one when it needs to be refreshed. It is only generated when it’s actually needed — either because it is requested or because update services are about to get pinged.
You can force it to appear by visiting the following url on your site (replace example.com with your domain):
Version 2.4 =
- Fixed settings being reset upon plugin activation message.
- WordPress 4.2 compat.
Version 2.3.1 =
- Settings were not being preserved in some cases. Should be resolved now.
Version 2.3 =
- New option to include author page in sitemap if they haven't published a page or post.
- WordPress 4.1 compat.
Version 2.2.1 =
- Fix PHP strict warning upon deactivating the plugin.
Version 2.2 =
- The blog page is not added if the page is set in the Excluded Pages list and the blog page is not the Home Page.
- Multi-paged entries are no longer included in the sitemap. This can be re-enabled if define('xml_sitemaps_paged', true); is set in wp-config
Version 2.1 =
- Changing of the plugin Settings now will cause regeneration of the sitemap
- Fix 'Strict Standards: Non-static method' warning messages when in debug mode
- WordPress 4.0 compatibility
Version 2.0.3 =
- Use more full proof WP version check to alter plugin behavior instead of relying on $wp_version constant.
Version 2.0.2 =
- Reactivate sitemap logic upon WP upgrade
Version 2.0.1 =
- Fix localization
Version 2.0 =
- NEW Admin Settings
- Optionally include/exclude archive, author, category and tag pages from the sitemap
- Option to exclude individual pages
- Ability to generate sitemap for mobile-only sites in mobile sitemap format.
- WP 3.9 Compat
Version 1.12 =
- Too many author pages entries were being generated
- Code refactoring
Version 1.11.1 =
- Replaced deprecated PHP 5.3 function call
- WP 3.8 compat
Version 1.11 =
- Fix incorrect admin message regarding Privacy/Search Engine Visibility Settings changed in WP 3.5
Version 1.10 =
- No longer add url to blog page if no posts have been published
- Author links now check that author has at least 1 post or page
- WP 3.7 compat
Version 1.9 =
- WP 3.6 compat
- PHP 5.4 compat
Version 1.8.1 =
- Fix assigning the return value of new by reference warning message
Version 1.8 =
- Sitemap now includes author pages in file
Version 1.7.1 =
- Rebuild sitemap if post is moved to trash
Version 1.7 =
- WP 3.5 compat
- Updated for Bing ping url and removed yahoo ping as it has been discontinued
Version 1.6.2 =
- WP 3.0 compat
Version 1.6.1 =
- Improve safe_mode and open_basedir handling
Version 1.6 =
- WPMU compat
- Improve memcached support
- Handle custom content dir properly
- Add a filter so other plugins can attach pages
Version 1.5 =
- Fix an ugly typo that prevented the plugin from working in some circumstances
Version 1.4.1 =
- Harden a file permission check
Version 1.4 =
- Improve clean-up procedure
- Fix Paging
- Ping throttling tweaks: up to once every 10 minutes
Version 1.3 =
- Apply permalink filters on post and page links
- Fix a conflict with themes and plugins that mess around with a blog's privacy settings on 404 errors
Version 1.2 =
- Drop attachments from the sitemap