The external links plugin for WordPress lets you process outgoing links differently from internal links.
Under Settings / External Links, you can configure the plugin to:
- Process all outgoing links, rather than only those within your entries’ content and text widgets.
- Add an external link icon to outgoing links. You can use a class=”no_icon” attribute on links to override this.
- Add rel=nofollow to the links. (Note: You can use a rel=”follow” attribute on links to override this.)
- Open outgoing links in new windows. Note that this can damage your visitor’s trust towards your site in that they can think your site used a pop-under.
- Follow comment links (supersedes the nofollow setting in the comment area).
- Turn on “autolinks” functionality.
Bleeding Edge Zip
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How can I make some links still be followed?
A: The plugin supports a non-started rel=”follow” attribute on links to override this. If it detects rel=”follow” it will not add the “nofollow” attribute to that link.
The Semiologic forum is the best place to report issues. Please note, however, that while community members and I do our best to answer all queries, we’re assisting you on a voluntary basis.
If you require more dedicated assistance, consider using Semiologic Pro.