As many of you already know, WP 2.9 has been released over the WE, and… oh bummer:
- One major bug was simply dismissed;
- A related critical bug was only partially fixed;
- A last critical bug (and its child bug) crept in at the last moment.
As a result of this:
- RSS widgets are completely broken on servers that are missing both of iconv and multi-byte string functions;
- The curl transport is broken on some servers with an outdated library. This breaks the WP cron, and with it future posting, pings, etc.
Not all sites are affected, of course. Most aren't, in fact. But for those few who are, the situation is frustrating.
Fixing your site
If you have upgraded your sites to WP 2.9 and are experiencing any of these issues, the fix should be a matter of uploading these three patched files to your site(s):
They go in your wp-includes folder; simply overwrite them as needed.
Please note that the fix to the SimplePie/RSS widget problem merely prevents SimplePie from failing when it's trying to convert UTF-8 into UTF-8. The correct fix would be that your host installs multi-byte string functions or iconv on your server.
As discussed in a previous post, Semiologic Pro users are advised to wait for WP 2.9.1.
Update: all three bugs are fixed in WP 2.9.1, so we'll be good to go with that release.