The external links plugin for WordPress lets you process outgoing links differently from internal links.
Under Settings / External Links, you can configure the plugin to:
- Process all outgoing links, rather than only those within your entries' content.
- Add an external link icon to outgoing links. You can use a class="no_icon" attribute on links to override this.
- Open outgoing links in new windows. Note that this can damage your visitor's trust towards your site in that they can think your site used a pop-under.
- Add rel=nofollow to the links. You can use a rel="follow" attribute on links to override this.
Bleeding Edge Zip
Frequently Asked Questions
The Semiologic forum is the best place to report issues. Please note, however, that while community members and I do our best to answer all queries, we're assisting you on a voluntary basis.
If you require more dedicated assistance, consider using Semiologic Pro.
- Remove HTML comments added in 5.4.1 to assist in troubleshooting some select site issues
- Use template_redirect hook and put ourselves after default hooks that most 404/redirect plugins want to use and Yoast's at priority 99999
- Fix compatibility with Yoast WP SEO plugin when Force Title Rewrite option is on and using the Apply Globally setting of this plugin.
- Additional tweak to global callback processing
- Use wp_print_footer_scripts hook instead of wp_footer as some themes fail to call wp_footer();
- Use own custom version of the anchor_utils class
- Content, excerpt and comment filters no longer called when Apply Globally is selected. Improves performance.
- Troubleshooting release. Adds a few html comments in the page source to ensure hooks are being called.
- Temporarily placeholders links - http:// and https:// (no other url components) are no longer processed.
- Fix localization
- Fix: Conflict with Auto Thickbox plugin that would result in text widgets still being filtered even though option was turned off
- Fix: Ensure this plugin filter is executed way back in the change to prevent other plugins/themes from reversing our changes
- Code refactoring
- WP 3.9 compat
- Checks for new sem_dofollow class to determine if Do Follow plugin is active
- WP 3.8 compat
- Further updates to the link attribute parsing code
- Fixed bug where external link was not processed if it was preceded by an empty text anchor link.
- Take two! With issues now with breaking google adsense code reverted back to 4.2 parsing code but added more advanced dom attribute parsing code to handle various link configurations.
- Completely replaced the mechanism for parsing links to resolve the various errors that have been occurring with different external services' link attributes
- Tested with WP 3.7
- WP 3.6 compat
- PHP 5.4 compat
- Fixed issue with parsing of links with non-standard (class, href, rel, target) attributes included in the tag. This caused Twitter Widgets to break.
- Fixed issue where the external link icon was not added if the url specified by href had a preceding space href=" http://www.example.com"
- Fixed issue with 2 spaces being injected between
- WP 3.5 compat
- WP 3.0.1 compat
- WP 3.0 compat
- Force a higher pcre.backtrack_limit and pcre.recursion_limit to avoid blank screens on large posts
- Improve case-insensitive handling of domains
- Improve image handling
- Switch back to using a target attribute: work around double windows getting opened in Vista/IE7
- Disable entirely in feeds
- Don't enforce new window pref in feeds
- Ignore case when comparing domains
- Allow to force a follow when the nofollow option is toggled
- Enhance escape/unescape methods
- Code enhancements and optimizations